Saturday, August 24, 2019

Songs from Cerro Gordo

The Battle of Cerro Gordo, 1847

In 2009 while filming "Saol John Riley" we visited Carlota Jacomé in her village, where, in April 1847, "the battle of Cerro Gordo" took place. Carlota is a local poet and singer, she sang her song about the San Patricios for us and I sang the Irish language version of my own song "Pa' Los Del San Patricio."



Carlota sings her song in Spanish, here is a transcription of the video in English, with the original Spanish afterwards.

I Carlota Jacomé, will sing this song of my own inspiration, words and music, concerning the Irish of the San Patricio Battalion.

This song that I have begun, I sing with emotion,
it concerns the terrible tragedy of the San Patricio's Battalion.
They were valiant men of pure heart,
to defend their rights and their people they joined the battalion,

They took away their means of living in Ireland,
Because of that they had to leave,
They came as immigrants among the Americans
they soon came to the Federal District of Mexico
along with a cause they had come to hate,

They had many battles because they were men of morals,
one of those was in the city of Monterrey,
they excelled in all the battles they were part of,
they had another battle in the city of Saltillo,

Of the few that I know, that I have in my list,
they fought again in the battle of Buena Vista.
when I start to think I bring it to mind and remember-
they had another battle with the men of Santa Ana
in the village of Cerro Gordo.

A date that will never be forgotten, I will always keep it in my mind-
the tenth of September in the 19th century in the year of 47.
They fought in Churubusco also at Chapultepec
with some Mexicans also at the square of San Angél.

Without cowardice, although they lost their lives,
they fought with their skill, valor and bravery.
In San Jacinto square there they were sacrificed,
these Americans without conscience and without feeling they hung them,

The pain goes right to my heart upon my soul,
what bad luck these 50 immigrants had from the land of Ireland.
We will always remember them and keep them in our history,
we will never forget, that God my keep them with him in his glory.

"Since I am not educated I know nothing of geography,
to my creator I recommend and I tell him with a guarantee,
Carlota Jacomé was the author of this ditty,
which is both a poem and poetry."

Yo Carlota Jacomé Marin, voy a cantarles este cantico en poema de mi propia inspiración, letra y música de los irlandeses del batallón san patricio


Les canto con sentimiento este canto que yo inicio,
de esta terrible tragedia del batallón San Patricio,
eran hombres muy valientes pero de buen corazón,
por defender sus derechos y por defender sus gentes
Se unieron al batallón.

Les quitaron sus recursos que tenían para vivir
por eso de allá de Irlanda se tuvieron que salir.
Se fueron como inmigrantes con los estadounidenses,
después se fueron de allí pa’ Distrito Federal

y también por esa causa los empezaron a odiar
Tuvieron varias batallas por que eran hombres de ley,
tuvieron una batalla en ciudad de Monterrey.
Las batallas que tuvieron en todas se dieron brillo,

Tuvieron otra batalla en la ciudad de Saltillo.
De las pocas que yo sé algunas tengo en mi lista,
tuvieron otra batalla en el pueblo Buena Vista,
cuando me pongo a pensar yo lo conservo y lo otorgo.

Tuvieron otra batalla con la gente de Santa Ana,
En el pueblo Cerro Gordo
Fecha tan inolvidable siempre la traigo en mi mente
en ese diez de septiembre del año 1800 del año 47.

lucharon en Churubusco también en Chapultepec,
con algunos mexicanos también en Plaza San Ángel.
Sin sentir la cobardía pero aunque perdieron sus vidas,
lucharon con su talento con valor y valentía.

En La Plaza San Jacinto allí los sacrificaron,
esos estadounidenses sin consciencia y sin dolor
allí también los horcaron.
Me duele hasta el corazón también me duele hasta el alma,
la suerte que les toco estos cincuenta inmigrantes,
de allá de tierra de Irlanda.

Siempre los recordaremos quedaron en nuestra historia
nunca los olvidaremos que Dios los tenga en su gloría.

Como nunca me ilustré no entiendo de geografía,
Al creador me encomendé le digo con garantía,
Carlota Jacomé fue la autora de este cantico,
que fue poema y fue poesía.

No comments: